Friday, August 8, 2008

The Receiving Station


Being the proud owner of a cellular phone store I happen to be overly interested in obscure things like radio signals. Radio signals enable us to communicate from across the globe. I often spend my days on cell phones communicating with businesses and friends on the other side of the nation. Amazing! These invisible signals travel across entire nation to communicate with another human being. The power of these man-made electronic devices is astounding as they are able to transmit and receive invisible waves of information beyond our immediate comprehension. Imagine now, how much more powerful our brain can be.

Often in Living Infinitely, we look at the transmitting side of the brain. The thoughts, which subsequently become actions, we transmit into the world become our reality. The power of thought is infinitely more powerful than the cell phone. The very cell phone we speak of is a product of thought. Today however, we will discuss the receiving station of our brain.

Just like a cell phone our brain is constantly transmitting and receiving signals. The thoughts that we constantly think about are what we become. The famous saying from the Old Testament says, “As a Man Thinketh so He is.” There is no doubt the dominating thoughts of an individual shape the destiny and future of that individual. However, it is equally true that the brain acts as a receiving station.

The thoughts that we are constantly fed are accepted by the subconscious mind as fact. We live our lives largely based upon what has already been established by this part of the mind. The result of this can be readily observed in children from different families. Many a broken child has been created by parents constantly telling their children they are not good enough, smart enough, too fat, too skinny, and a host of other negative seeds constantly planted into the brain.

Powerful transmitters include music, television, books, blogs, and friends. Pay attention to the images, sounds, and emotions that are being transmitted to you. The constant bombardment of other thoughts making their way into your brain is not to be taken lightly! These images, sounds, and emotions make their way unnoticed into the automatic processes in the brain. The invisible soldiers make their way into your mind and march through your brain, gradually setting up camp and surrounding your actions. This army can serve as a tremendous asset and be a devastating foe.

What are you feeding your mind?

Beautiful image thanks to Yanning Van deWouwer

17 comments:

Caroline said...

Amazing post and so so true! I am going to link this post from my blog, hope you don't mind!

Sherer said...

Caroline, thank you that would be a great honor. Would you mind if I added your site your my list of favorites?

Caroline said...

Please do! I am honored as well. You write such inspiring and thought provoking posts! Thank you!

Ann Harrison said...

I found you through Caroline at The Zen In You.
Such a thought provoking post.
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

As always Jesse...extremely thought provoking ... and totally right my friend. Love how you used the analogy of a cell phone to get your idea across. Well done.
~JD

Sherer said...

Ann, thank you for coming by. I appreciate your comments.

Sherer said...

JD,

Pleasure as always my friend. I couldn't think of a better analogy than radio signals - especailly since its my job. Talk to you soon.

Jesse

HEALTH NUT WANNABEE MOM said...

Sometimes I have to remind myself of this but I absolutely agree and really work on my power of thought. Wonderful post as usual!

Anonymous said...

Great post. (Thanks to Caroline as the link on her site directed me here). I like the comment that the cell phone is a product of thought. So true. I will certainly be back! And will link this to my favourites so that others might find you.

Sherer said...

HealthNut, Thanks for coming by - always an absolute pleasure to see you. Reader: go to heathnuts blog - it is filled with amazing posts and inspirations habits for keeping our bodies in order.

Sherer said...

Healing stones, thanks for doing that - it is a great honor. I apprecaite your comments.

Bob Johnson said...

So true Jesse, good analogy of the cell phone, "And all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be" Pink Floyd, Breath.

Sherer said...

Hey Bob, Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the comment. I need one of those comment alien rocker guys to salute you.

Swubird said...

Sherer:

This is a great post. In some respects, it took me way back to when I was a little guy. I can clearly remember some of the things that were said to me that still exert power over my life today, both positive and negative.

Happy trails my friend.

Sherer said...

SWUBird,

Ah very interesting. I love when people can relate a person story a principle. I think it also goes to show us how important parents and role models are. Thanks friend!

Anonymous said...

Jesse,
I love this post. "The Receiving Station" is my favorite! I think it's because it shows how powerful a human being can actually be. Comparing something extraordinary like communcation to thoughts and actions of a human was a very good move. It inspired me...thanks again..genius :)

Sherer said...

Amy,

Thanks for stopping by. I think its very true that our thoughts are the spark that ignites our actions. The question is what to fill our minds with - the power can be positive and equally negative.

Jess